Sunday 11 October 2015

Replace "Touching of feet" with "Namaste"

At one time, India had the practice of "Sati". Now this practice is almost extinct. We need to constant change for the better. I suggest one more improvement here.

India has the custom of "touching the feet" of elders and religious people. This practice is humiliating. I personally feel embarrassed, when someone bows before me to touch my feet. I dislike touching the feet of any person. So I suggest that we replace this ancient practice with saying "Namaste" with folded hands. Elders seldom discourage "Touching of Feet" because many of these sadistic individuals enjoy humiliation of others.

"Namaste" means "I bow to the divine in you". So any person can say "Namaste" to anyone e.g. a father to child, a child to father, a mother to daughter, a daughter to mother, a saint to criminal, a criminal to saint; etc.

Let us commit to replacing "Touching of Feet" with "Namaste". A change always begins with one person. Even if the entire group is following the humiliating practice of "Touching the feet", let us try not to follow the group.

Let us improve the world, one small change at a time. I commit not to touch the feet of anyone else, nor allow anyone else to touch my feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment